We’ve all had that feeling before, especially around New Year’s Eve. That feeling creeps up on us at least once a year, maybe once a month, and even once a day. It’s the feeling that we’re a little out of shape (or we have a shape, but it’s not the one we want!).
Maybe you’re a desk warmer in corporate America, watching the pounds add on between trips to the lounge, afraid of what you’ll find when you step on a scale.
Maybe you’re fresh into college, and all your “gen eds” are boring you out of your mind, and you keep thinking, “I’d like to bulk up, slim down, be a little more active”.
Maybe you’re the stay at home mom (or dad!), and while the kids give you plenty of cadio (running around after them) and dead lifting (pickin’ those little rascals up) you’d love to head to gym like you used to, but you’ve got the kids to watch and it’s just easier to keep them at home.
Whatever your unique situation is, you’re not alone and there is a whole community out there for you.
What is GSP Rushfit?
GSP Rushfit is an eight-week home exercise program that uses Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) as the basis for getting into shape. The routines are taught by Erik Owings, an ex-MMA-turned-trainer and accompanied by none other than Georges “Rush” St. Pierre himself (aka, “Rush” and “GSP”) .
The program’s namesake, GSP, is from Quebec, and has been ranked as the #1 welterweight in the world according to Sherdog (a UFC and MMA news and info site). From 2008-2010, he was named Canadian Athlete of the year. Can read more about the history of these two men here (XXXLINKTOPAGE), if you like.
What’s SO Great About GSP Rushfit Anyway?
Now, there are a ton, and I mean a TON, of home fitness products out there (over 30,000 “home fitness” products on Amazon alone!).
What makes GSP Rushfit unique and beneficial for you?
Rushfit is Affordable and Guaranteed: Here are some quick comparisons I drummed up just checking out two other major players in this realm of home fitness:
P90X 139.80-$330 (depending on kit) from BeachBody.com*
- -Free Weight (at least $30)
- -Resistance Bands (at least $10)
- -Pull Up Bar (at least $22)
- -Advocates supplements ($25-$50)
Insanity $144 from BeachBody.com*
- -No accessories, just your body weight
- -Mostly Plyometrics and cardio
- -Some body weight training, but the focus is just slimming down
Rushfit: $88.99 from GSPRushfit.com*
- -MMA and body weight workouts
- -Free weights (around $30)
- -No supplements necessary
Body Weight and Functional Movements for a Well-Rounded Body Type: GSP Rushfit guarantees weight loss (unless you are already SO lean you have no weight to lose) and muscle growth. This is kind of a no brainer; it’s hard to imagine someone doing these workouts and NOT lose weight/gain muscle.
Balance and Stability Exercises: You can actually do important, everyday activities with all of these movements:
- -Pick up and wrestle with your kids
- -Life is easier when you’re stronger (carry groceries, hold things in precarious positions, etc.)
- -Not that I advocate for this, but you’ll also get some basic MMA training as well, which could get your out of a scrap if it came to it!
Workouts are shorter than other programs
- -Really intense workouts for about 25 minutes at a time (5 rounds, 5 minutes, just like MMA)
- -10 minutes of warm up
- -10 minutes of cool down
- -Perfect for the person trying to get it all in in under an hour.
MY PERSONAL FAVORITE: You’re training WITH GSP, not being trained BY him. One of the first things I noticed about this program is that that GSP is NOT the one training you, Erik Owings is. GSP is doing the exercises WITH you.
This is really amazing because you get to see an athlete at the top of his career train in person, see him sweat, and see his weakness. I’ve NEVER seen this before in a training program. The guy is there with you, doing everything you’re doing and stuggling just like you are. Amazing.
What are REAL People Saying About GSP and Rushfit?
While I couldn’t find the exact total for GSP Rushfit sales and returns (other than 700 new orders in November of 2012), I researched some reviews on the GSP website and off, and here are some of my favorite positive and negative reviews (note, these are paraphrased, as I don’t think Amazon and others like the direct quotes from their website):
- -Many people cited they LOVED the shorter, more intense work out routines.
- -They also cited that they were really pushed—either through their competitive nature or by comradery—that GSP was doing the workouts with them.
- -From the GSP Rushfit website and Facebook page, you can read about how Joanna lost all of her pregnancy weight, and George lost 85 pounds in 16 weeks (two cycles of the program).
- -My FAVORITE testimonial an AMAZING story from Brian E. on the GSP Rushfit site that forward over to there Facebook page with the story of how Brian was able to save his daughter’s life. In regards to Rushfit, he says “At first I just wanted to get ripped. But now, I will never take my health, or my children’s health for granted or again.” Truly an amazing story.
- -There were a couple reviews here and there from folks who had done the Insanity workout, or something similar and thought that Rushfit workouts were too easy, saying that their heart rate monitor “barely registered” and they didn’t even break a sweat. These people also cited they were in peek physical condition from the other programs they’d done so Rushfit didn’t really work for them.
- -A common complaint: Some folks didn’t like that the Cardio Workout is on your own. You can run, mow the lawn, walk your dog, ride your bike. Whatever, but there’s no video for it.
What Else Should You Consider?
Of course, this video series and workout program isn’t for everyone. Why would you NOT want to buy this?:
- -If you’re already extremely fit and active, this might not be the right workout program for you.
- -If you’re an experience MMA fighter, you should probably go somewhere else.
- -If you’ve got crazy health or medical problems, you might not wat to do this (I have a degenerative disk in my lower back and GSP Rushfit is HELPING me care for and maintain strength in my back, but be sure to consult your physician if need be).
Does This Really Work?
GSP Rushfit and many people say this home fitness program works if you stick with it! Even if you were to do half of this program every week (i.e., three videos a week), you would probably see more results that what you’re doing now (especially if that’s NOTHING). You can see the burgeoning GSP Rushfit community online, read their stories and testimonials online and judge for yourself.
This home fitness program has one of the lowest barriers to entry in the industry. You can get everything you’ll need for $100 or less, whereas similar programs (Insanity and P90X, for example) will have you spending $140 or more. Save that $40 for rewards (a new pair of pants, your favorite pizza, or a one way ticket to your desitnation of choice)when you’re Rushfit!
Should you order directly from the GSP Website?
You can if you like! I recommend Amazon because it’s pretty reasonably priced (check it out here). However, this does NOT come with the 60-day money back guarantee if you purchase through Amazon. Consider the extra $10 – $20 from the official site as insurance in case you wanted to send it back or need to quit early. Also, when you get through the program (because you will!), and you take a picture and write out your testimonial, they’ll send you a free shirt! How great is that?!